Lima – Quito Adventure
We travel from capital to capital in this stage of our epic Andes Overland 72-day adventure which begins in Peru and ends in Ecuador!
Over the next 20 days, through beaches, ruins, volcanoes, desert, canyons, jungle, cloud forests and grand colonial buildings, we can prioritise the inspirational Galapagos Islands, or visit all of Ecuador’s mainland highlights on our diverse journey towards Quito.
After all this, you’ll be highly tempted to continue our amazing adventure towards the next capital city, Bogota!
Note: Optional excursions are listed in bold. Full information on these can be found here. Optional Excursions
- Arrival in Lima / Day 1
- On the first day, after a flawless landing in Lima, we meet our fellow travelers and tour guide at the hotel (17:00pm). After a full briefing and questions, we get a good night's rest.
- Lima / Day 2
- We awake in a bustling city with plenty to see and do. If you haven't planned anything, our morning guided tour is highly recommended. In the afternoon, you can relax, explore, or soar with paragliding professionals! Optional Excursion: City tour Lima
- Lima - Trujillo / Day 3
- In the morning you have time to pack the things you need, because we leave at noon. Heading north to Trujillo, we arrive at our hotel later that evening.
- Trujillo - Chiclayo / Day 4
- The highlight of the morning is the optional Chan Chan guided tour. These are the World Heritage Site remains of a pre-Inca city a short distance from Trujillo, where fascinating carvings are threatened by the coastal elements. Optional excursion: Chan Chan complex.
- Chiclayo / Day 5
- Today we have several options. If yesterday's ruins gave you an appetite for more, Huaca Rajada/Ventarron are archaelogical sites which pre-date the Incas by 1,000 years! Meanwhile, the incredible Royal Tombs of Sipan, the resting place of a Mochican warrior priest, exhibit original artefacts from the same period. Finally there are two additional ruins. (Optional Excursions: Huaca Rajada/Ventarron, Royal Tombs of Sipan, Huaca Las Balsas/Tucume)
- Chiclayo - Mancora - Punta Sal / Day 6
- Time for the beach! Mancora is a quiet seaside resort with plenty of hospitality, where you can sample cocktails and fish delicacies such as ceviche. Then to our hotel, a quick drive away in Punta Sal.
- Punta Sal / Day 7
- Punta Sal offers surfing classes, horseback riding, and a similar beach experience to Mancora, though this time with the whole day to enjoy. We're not far from Ecuador now, so spend your last pennies on souvenirs!
- Punta Sal - Aguas Verdes - Huaquillas - Cuenca or detour to Galapagos Islands / Day 8
- Crossing the border leaves us with a few hours drive to the colonial delights of Cuenca, or the coastal metropolis of Guayaquil if you're catching a flight to the Galapagos Islands! (Optional excursion: Galapagos 5/8-day cruises
- Cuenca / Day 9
- Today we will explore the interesting historical city. Cuenca has the pleasant atmosphere of a small city, yet is rich in architecture, churches, the art which fascinates visitors. The beauty of the surrounding landscape, and harmony between colonial and modern buildings are a big reason why Cuenca is so popular with foreign retirees. UNESCO has named the city a World Cultural Heritage site.
- Cuenca - Cajas - Cuenca / Day 10
- The Cajas National Park is the option of the day, with a mix of hiking, views and wildlife to keep you active and entertained. We leave after breakfast. Optional Excursion: Cajas National Park
- Cuenca - Alausi / Day 11
- On route to Alausi, we can make a stop at the Ingapirca Ruins, a hilltop Inca sun temple and urbanization with pre-Inca elements. Otherwise, we arrive in Alausi with more time in hand. Optional Excursion: Ingapirca Ruins
- Alausi - Baños / Day 12
- This morning we board the award-winning Devil's Nose train, which winds around dramatic peaks and valleys in the Ecuadorean Andes. Alighting at the Conder Puñana museum, we are treated to a traditional dance presentation before returning to Alausi. Then a bus to the popular tourist town of Baños, below a big active volcano.
- Baños / Day 13
- Baños has lots of activities on offer, including rafting, biking, horse riding, buggies, bungee jumping, zip-lines, and more! The great thing is that you can decide what to do while on the extended waterfall tour, which leaves regularly. Then there are thermal pools, steam massages, and the noctural volcano summit experience, with hot drinks included. Our special option is the waterfall tour on mountain bikes! (Optional excursion: Waterfall Bike Tour
- Baños - Tena / Day 14
- Today, we descend from the cloud forest into the Amazon rainforest! Tena is our gateway, located on the Napo river and offering direct trips further into the jungle. Water-based activities such as rafting and kayaking are always popular. Alternatively, a local guide can lead us on a beautiful hike to a waterfall or on a boat trip to visit an indigenous community, with plenty of wildlife to meet on the way. Optional Excursion: Half-day Rafting
- Tena / Day 15
- With a full day in Tena at our disposal, you can try something different. A whole day of rafting lets you experience more of the Amazon than most tourists, or you can hike in different directions with the help of experienced guides. Optional excursion: Full-day Rafting
- Tena - Papallacta / Day 16
- More treats are in store, just a few hours away at a higher elevation: the Papallacta hot springs! The excellent thermal baths are best enjoyed after a walk around the natural surroundings, and before a calm evening of recovery from the past few days.
- Papallacta - Cotopaxi / Day 17
- Next up is Ecuador's prized volcano, the Cotopaxi, and its beautiful National Park. The aim is to reach the spectacular views from the refugio at 4800 meters, which we guarantee is worth the effort. This will occupy most of the day, if we go slowly.
- Cotopaxi - Quito / Day 18
- Today is a great opportunity to take horses on a very popular and scenic route, leaving early in the morning from our hacienda. After that, we travel onwards to the capital city of Quito. Optional Excursion: Horseback Riding
- Quito / Day 19
- And now we learn why Quito was one of the first World Cultural Heritage cities declared by UNESCO. The splendor of the historic center is highly accessible just with two feet and a map, or you can take a double-decker tour bus. Another option is our guided tour through the colonial streets, then a trip to the Middle of the World, just north of the city. Optional Excursions: Quito City Tour & Mitad del Mundo
- The end? / Day 20
- If today is the last day of your Andes Overland journey, you'll now be mentally prepared for more adventures in the future! We make the final trip to Quito's international airport and bid farewell. Good news for the ones who would like to discover more about South-America. There is more in store! Join us in the next stage of our epic trip with destination Bogota, Colombia.
- 1. English Speaking guide throughout the journey
- 2. All public Bus tickets
- 4. Accommodation based on double rooms including breakfast
- 5. Trainticket the Devil nose
- 6. Private transport Papallacta - Cotopaxi - Quito
- 7. 3 days/2 nights in the Amazon including all meals & the Jungle excursions accompanied by a local guide
- 1. Not mentioned meals, personal expenses, extras and tips
- 2. Additional service or optional excursions
- 3. International flight tickets